Saturday, May 11, 2013

Mom

The years have indeed brought changes to the mother/daughter relationship.  I admit as a kid I didn´t feel really close to my mom.  Of course there were things that she did that drove me crazy and I rebelled against or even resented.  It took me many years to understand that her way of showing love is by service, doing things for her family; like making sure we ate balanced meals, were well clothed and active in church.  Words and touch do not come easy for her and she expresses love through her actions.  In recent years we have developed a friendship, especially as my father suffered from his illness and in February, his home going.  We have been spent more time together, enjoying one another´s company and doing things together...like watching a movie, going for walks and church being involved in church activities. Since dad passed on, I realize just how much stress she was under to care for him, and I admire  her dedication, love and faithfulness to him over more than 61 years.  I see my mother now as the faithful servant she is, serving the Lord and her family through the many challenges, stresses and joys of her 82 years.  Perhaps we don´t always connect on a deep level, talking and sharing things of the heart, but we love one another deeply and are thankful to be together when we can, talk often and pray for one another.  My mom is indeed a prayer warrior and her prayers have sustained me not only over my nearly 20 years of ministry, but throughout my life.  I appreciate her concern for the people and activities I am involved in and her support through her love, prayers and even financially.  I pray the Lord

gives us more years to strengthen our friendship as we each deepen our walk with Him.  I love you mom, Happy Mother´s Day!

1 comment:

  1. Rebekah, I can relate to your mother/daughter relationship since my Mom who just died April 5th at the ripe old age of 91+10months was not an affectionate woman. I knew that she loved me but it wasn't until the past 10 yrs or so that we became close. BUT she too was a prayer warrier, we shared Bible studies with other women while she lived with me and even memorized scriptures. When her dementia took over her life, the only mothering I experienced was when she would pray for me. I always prayed for her before I left her (she lived the past 2 yrs in a nursing home) and asked if she'd pray for me. They were often very simplistic but caring prayers that I wouldn't get lost or that God would protect me on the road. The last words I heard her say were her unusually long prayer for Ron & I before left. What a blessings! I'm going to enjoy your blog! Blessings and prayers!

    ReplyDelete